Our network

No Bail for Las Vegas Man Accused of Killing Wife

Rickey Massey

LAS VEGAS  -- A 32-year-old Las Vegas man who is accused of killing his wife in the garage of a home at Nellis Air Force Base did not get bail in a Tuesday morning court appearance.

Rickey L. Massey Jr. made his initial appearance in Las Vegas Justice Court. He is facing an open murder charge.

Police say Massey, an airman, was in the home when Nellis security personnel arrived Friday morning and found the woman dead.

The Clark County Coroner's Office has identified the woman as 34-year-old Theresa Rivera and her cause of death as asphyxia.

Police said the woman and Massey had been involved in a domestic dispute hours before her body was found, and she appeared to have been beaten to death.

Associated Press contributed to this report.

 

Man Arrested at Nellis AFB for Wife's Death

LAS VEGAS -- Metro Police are investigating a murder at Nellis Air Force Base.

According to police, officers were called to a home on the base at around 10:30 a.m. Friday on a report of a woman found dead.

When officers arrived, they were briefed by Nellis Security Forces about a woman found dead in a garage of a on-base home.

Homicide detectives say the woman appeared to have suffered blunt force trauma. Detectives also say the victim and her husband had been involved in a domestic dispute hours before she was found dead.

Police arrested the victim's husband, 32-year-old Rickey Massey, on a charge of open murder. Massey has no prior criminal history. Massey was in the home when base security arrived.

The victim's identity and cause of death will be released by the Clark County Coroner's Office.

Ex-Vegas Gun Store Owner Sentenced in Theft Case

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- A former Las Vegas gun store owner has been sentenced in federal court to three years' probation for receiving stolen military items.

Former Citadel Gun & Safe owner Jonathan Call didn't speak in court before sentencing Thursday by Senior U.S. District Judge Lloyd George.

Call's lawyer, Richard Schonfeld, said Friday that Call now lives in southern Utah where he operates a surplus store and no longer sells military supplies or weapons.

Call pleaded guilty in October to one charge of receiving stolen government property.

A co-defendant and former Nevada Army National Guard member, Marco Antonio Reyes, pleaded guilty in March 2012 to the same charge.

Reyes acknowledged selling Call $30,000 worth of military equipment stolen from the Clark County Armory in North Las Vegas.

He's awaiting sentencing.

Air Force: 34 Missile Officers in Cheating Scandal

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James says 34 missile launch officers have been implicated in a cheating scandal and three others have been implicated in a drug probe, the latest missteps by those who maintain and operate the nation's 450 nuclear missiles.

In all, the drug scandal encompasses 11 Air Force officers across six bases. Of the three missile launch officers involved in the drug scandal, two are at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota and one is at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana.

James said those involved in the cheating scandal have lost their certification and nearly 200 missile crew members will retake the test.

GOP Senator: Budget Cuts Affect Survivor Benefits

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon has told a Republican senator that a cut in last month's budget agreement affecting military retirees also would affect survivors' benefits.

That's the word from Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, a member of the Armed Services Committee. Ayotte, an opponent of the contentious pension cut, pressed the Pentagon on the impact.

The senator said Monday that the change would affect annuity payments under the Survivor Benefit Plan as well as combat-related special compensation programs. The budget set a 1 percentage point cut to annual cost-of-living increases for military retirees.

Ayotte said the cuts unfairly shortchange military retirees, survivors and combat-injured.

Proponents say it would save about $6 billion over the coming decade, money that's being used to ease cuts to the Pentagon budget this year.

Report: Sexism Part of Military Academies' Culture

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Pentagon report finds students at the three U.S. military academies often believe they have to put up with sexist and offensive behavior, reflecting a culture of disrespect that permeates the schools and fuels reports of sexual harassment and assaults.

The report being released Friday points to scandals involving sports teams at the Army, Navy and Air Force academies during the last school year. It urges leaders to do more to improve training and prevention programs.

The report identifies sports and club teams as an area in which students need more training. Military officials say they are working on ways to encourage students to take action when they see or hear of sexual assault or harassment.

The Associated Press obtained the report ahead of its release.

Drive the Motor Speedway for Charity

Drive the Motor Speedway for Charity

People who have always wanted to try their driving skills at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway will get a chance for charity.

The Las Vegas Chapter of Speedway Children's Charities will present the fourth annual Laps for Charity event at the speedway from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 26.

For $30 per vehicle, people can drive their personal vehicle around the 1.5-mile track at speeds up to 75 miles an hour. For an extra $20, people buy an additional three laps. For another $10, drivers can have their pictures taken in the LVMS victory lane.

The money raised goes toward children's charities around southern Nevada. During last year's event, more than 840 cars, trucks and even a limousine participated, raising $32,000 for the charity.

Laps for Charity is open to all licensed drivers 18 years of age. All occupants of the car must be 6 years of age or older. The vehicle must be street legal. Car clubs and company fleets are welcome to be part of the event.